Travel writing. Sponsored trips to exotic destinations, a paycheck to see beautiful places and write about them… For many people, it’s the dream lifestyle!
In today’s episode, Gabi Logan joins us to talk about the realities of the travel writing lifestyle, as well as the practicalities of how to do it successfully.
Learn what it’s really like to be a travel writer; where, how, and how often to pitch your work as a travel writer; the real truth about sponsored trips…and enjoy plenty of travel stories and tips along the way!
Click here to download the episode directly.
What destination do you want to write about? Let us know @ExtraPackofPeanuts!
Check out the entire library of EPoP Travel Podcasts on iTunes.
In This Episode
- 4:15 – How Gabi got started with the travel lifestyle
- 8:20 – Grocery store tourism
- 11:20 – Lessons Gabi has learned by diving deep into a culture
- 18:20 – Gabi’s winding journey to becoming the successful travel writer she is now
- 24:00 – Golden travel writing opportunities: where to pitch
- 30:30 – Strategies for demonstrating your value if clients are hesitant to pay your rate
- 34:00 – Gabi’s advice for someone who is just starting out and the three travel writing avenues you can take
- 36:45 – What you need to do if you want to build your own travel business and the #1 mistake people make when they start travel blogs
- 40:50 – Places where you can find travel writing gigs that most people would never think of, and tips for earning more reliable income
- 48:35 – Gabi’s tips for pitching
- 54:15 – Strategies for managing recurring work
- 57:20 – What a typical week or month looks like for an established freelance writer
- 1:01:00 – The real truth about sponsored trips
- 1:05:40 – The lucrative way to do sponsored trips today
- 1:10:10 – Gabi’s retreat center for writers
- 1:14:45 – Gabi’s favorite destinations
- 1:17:55 – Gabi’s biggest travel mishap
- 1:20:40 – What’s coming up for Gabi, and where you can learn more
- Travel Writing 2.0 with Tim Leffel
- The Ridiculous Race – Part I and Part II
- Full-Time Travel in a Financially Sustainable Way with Nora Dunn
Leave a Review!
iTunes reviews are one of THE most important factors for podcasts. If you enjoy the show please take a second to leave the show a review on iTunes!
- Click this link: Leave a review on iTunes
- Hit “View in iTunes” on the left-hand side under the picture.
- Leave an honest review.
- You’re awesome!