What’s it like to roam the country, working and traveling 365 days a year in a van?
In this episode, Mike and Jess of VanThere.com join Trav to discuss the pros and cons of the location independent lifestyle through van life.
Learn how they got started, what they do about money, what day-to-day life is like, how they’ve handled the obstacles (why are they on their second van?), which places they love most, and advice for others who want to try this lifestyle!
You can follow Mike and Jess on Instagram @Van.There.
Would you live full time in a van? Where would you go? Let us know @PackofPeanuts!
In This Episode
- 4:00 – What does life look like right now?
- 5:00 – Where did this idea come from?
- 6:50 – What did Mike and Jess do about their jobs?
- 9:00 – What did their friends and family say?
- 13:50 – Is this indefinite or do Mike and Jess have a timeline for this trip?
- 15:45 – The Accident.
- 19:00 – Was there a financial savings goal before setting out?
- 20:10 – How much did it cost to get started?
- 21:30 – What was it like to build this van?
- 23:40 – What are the hardest parts of van life?
- 25:30 – What do you look for in a place to stay?
- 29:45 – How do Mike and Jess plan their travel?
- 33:30 – What were their priorities when they built the van?
- 36:30 – Where does Mike and Jess’s van land on the spectrum of luxury?
- 39:40 – How fast are they moving around from one place to the next?
- 42:10 – How do they handle being in such close quarters all the time?
- 45:25 – Is it difficult to live outside the “normal world”?
- 49:30 – Do they follow a schedule?
- 54:00 – Why is this their second van?
- 59:30 – Insurance.
- 1:03:20 – Old van vs. new van
- 1:04:15 – What advice do Mike and Jess have for others wanting to do this?
- 1:07:50 – What are the most memorable highlights so far?
- 1:09:05 – Where to next?
- 1:11:10 – What are some things that allow them to stretch their dollars?
- 1:12:30 – Where you can find more info and what’s coming up in the pipeline?
Leave a Review!
iTunes reviews are one of THE most important factors for podcasts. If you enjoy the show please take a second to leave the show a review on iTunes!
- Click this link: Leave a review on iTunes
- Hit “View in iTunes” on the left hand side under the picture.
- Leave an honest review.
- You’re awesome!