Typically, our destination diary episodes are Heather and I riffing on a place that we’ve traveled to, but every so often I meet someone who knows a place so well, I just have to have them come on and talk about it. And, even though Bulgaria is very high on my list, I didn’t want to have to wait a year or so to put out an episode on it because I don’t want other people to wait that long to go.
Joining me today is someone who has been kind enough to bring me beers from Cincinnati and bring Whit a stuffed Hey Hey doll from Moana, who has taught me everything (literally, everything) I know about Bulgaria, who is an integral part of our Location Indie team, and who can spur wanderlust in me about as quick as any person I’ve ever met, Mitko Karshovski from ThatRemoteLife.com and host of the That Remote Show podcast.
Today’s episode has been sponsored by our friends at Tortuga Backpacks. Check them out for the best travel backpacks!
Is Bulgaria on your places to visit next? Which location will you visit first? Let us know @ExtraPackofPeanuts!
In This Episode
- 04:10 Basics On Bulgaria
- 05:20 Why Are You The Bulgarian Expert?
- 08:10 Location, Location, Location
- 18:45 Getting Around
- 32:30 10-14 Day Itinerary (Different Seasons)
- 43:00 When To Go
- 43:55 Gotta Love Those Prices
- 51:50 Bulgarian Food…It’s Not What You Think
- 1:00:00 Can’t-Miss, You Can Skip, & Do More Of
- 01:06:45 Great Resources for Bulgaria
Sofia: Capital, Historic, Architecture
Varna – Beaches, Nature, Nightlife
Plovdiv – Artsy, Hipster, 2019 Culture Capital of Europe
Veliko Tarnovo – City of Tsars, Unique Architecture, Fortresses & Palaces
Bansko – Skiing, Hiking, Up & Coming Digital Nomad Spot
- Nearby Places To Visit
Melnik – Wineries
- To Do
- Wine Region
- Wine Tastings
Sozopol – Built Into The Cliffs, Lots of Ruins, Historic
Small Towns To Visit
- That Remote Life
- 2019 Digital Nomad Guide To Bulgaria – That Remote Life
- That Remote Show Podcast
- Follow Mitko on Instagram
- Life Nomading
- Life Nomading Bulgaria Trip
- Chris The Freelancer Youtube Video on Sofia and Varna
- Bulgaria Official Tourism Board
- Kashkaval Tourist Website
- Jetto App – Referral Code: EPOP
- Want to follow our adventures? Check out our Instagram’s at @PackOfPeanuts, @HeatherSherry, @TravelingWhitMyles, and @Let’sJetto