I’m Travis, the creator of Extra Pack of Peanuts, and for the last three years, my wife Heather and I have been able to travel the world. We’ve:
- visited over 20 countries.
- scuba dived on the Great Barrier Reef.
- visited the Great Wall of China.
- rode camels through the desert of India.
- and, of course, found plenty of time to sip wine in Tuscany and drink beer in Prague.
And all because we’re rich! Wait, scratch that. It’s just my mind running wild again.
And all because we’ve figured out tricks for how to travel more and spend less. Most people’s travel plans look like this:
- $1,000 plane tickets
- 5 nights at $200/night hotel.
- Expensive meals out.
- Maybe a $50/day rental car.
- One week, THOUSANDS of dollars spent.
Since we don’t have all that money to drop, we do things like:
- Score $5 flights to Rio for the World Cup.
- Nab $125 tickets to Italy.
- Stay in 5 bedroom mansions in Breckenridge for free
- Enjoy $500/month apartments on the Croatian coast.
And if you’ve found our website, I’m guessing you want to do the same. (If not, well, the internet is a funny place, isn’t it?).
Easy Way to Save Money When Traveling
When many people ask us, “how can you afford to travel so much?” they expect an easy, concise answer. Ha!
As you’ll see, we do a wide variety of things, but here’s the best place to start:
You Don't Need A Lot of Money To Travel
I can prove to you that traveling the world doesn't cost a lot of money. In fact, you'd be surprised by how cheap traveling can be. Here is my quick guide to travel hacking. Download it for FREE by entering just your name and email.
Frequent Flyer Miles
Most people are confused by frequent flyer miles – and I was too three years ago! But they are the key to how I now fly anywhere in the world for under $100, and how you can too.
If you don’t know anything, don’t worry, these two posts are perfect for you:
After getting an idea of what frequent flyer miles are, you’ve got to understand how to use them. Here’s are two posts that very clearly illustrate the power and possibilities of frequent flyer miles:
- How I Got $5 Flights to Rio for the World Cup
- How to Get to the Maldives (Or Anywhere Else in the World) Using Frequent Flyer Miles
Frequent flyer miles are a rabbit hole that is easy to fall down. If you really want to use them to do some cool things, here are two advanced strategies that you should learn:
- Which Airlines Charge Fuel Surcharges and How to Avoid Them
- Get 2 Vacations for the Price of 1 by Using Stopover and Open Jaws
Finding Cheap Flights Without Frequent Flyer Miles
Frequent flyer miles are a great way to get cheap flights, but they are by no means the only way.
One of the best ways is by taking advantage of mistake fares. Mistake fares have allowed me to fly to Italy for $125, Madrid for $225, and South Africa for $350.
Another way to get cheap tickets that flies under the radar (bad pun intended) is by using budget airlines.
Forgetting about budget airlines is a bad mistake – here’s how to find and book budget airlines, and what to expect:
Credit Card Knowledge
If you’ve read the frequent flyer information above, you now know that opening credit cards and using them wisely is one of the best ways to earn frequent flyer miles.
To make sure you get started on the right foot, I offer a completely free credit card consultation for all readers:
There’s a lot of misinformation out there regarding credit cards, and so one of my main priorities at EPoP is to set the record straight.
The first question I always get asked is:
Won’t opening credit cards kill my credit score?
A valid question, young Padawan – here’s my answer:
Once people open up credit cards, they often get confused about which credit cards they should keep open and which ones they should close.
Before doing ANYTHING, read these two posts:
- Should I Cancel a Credit Card? You’re Questions Answered!
- Will I Lose My Points If I Cancel a Credit Card?
Pretty impressed that I can read your mind, eh?
Accommodations…It’s Not Just Hotels!
The second biggest expense behind flights is accommodations.
Luckily, cutting down your accommodation costs is not nearly as difficult as you think. We have more accommodation options than ever, and the key is using all of them.
One of our favorite ways to travel is by renting apartments. Not only are they usually cheaper than hotels, but they give you a more authentic and unique travel experience.
- GowithOh: My Secret Weapon in For Finding Awesome Accommodations in Europe
- How to Find Amazing Apartments When Traveling (Podcast)
So, what could be even better than staying in an apartment in a cool part of a city and paying less than a hotel? How about staying somewhere for free!
And while it may seem like I’m beating up on hotels a bit, I’ll definitely stay at them as long as I know I’m getting a good deal.
One way to do that is to get a free nights by opening the right credit card.
Finding Cheap Car Rentals
Now that we’ve ticked off how to get cheap flights and cheap accommodations, it’s time to talk about car rentals.
The price for car rentals can vary wildly – something I’ve learned the hard way. To make sure you always get the best price, I’ve create this guide:
Even after you’ve found a cheap car rental, there is a ton of
bull$&*! fine print that goes along with a car rental. Here’s how make sure you’re understanding it all and saving money in the process.
Before you leave, you’re probably stressed out:
- How can you make sure you don’t forget anything?
- What should you pack?
- How can I use my phone to
check Facebookstay in touch with my family while I’m in another country?
I’ve been there and lived through it many times. And I’ve got answers for you.
- Pre-Travel Checklist: 24 Things To Do Before You Travel (Post)
- Pre-Travel Checklist: 24 Things To Do Before You Travel (Podcast)
Ok, time to tackle the next big question – what should you pack?
Believe it or not, both Heather (a fashion expert) and I (not a fashion expert) pack in only carry-on every time we travel, whether it’s for one week or five months. Not possible? I beg to differ – here’s proof:
Want to use your phone while abroad? Don’t worry, I won’t judge you if it’s for your Facebook addiction!
- How to Use Your Cellphone Abroad in 5 Easy Steps (with plenty of pictures for tech idiots like myself)
I get it, you want proof that this stuff actually works. Here’s two great examples:
If you’ve made it this far, it’s obvious that you really enjoy EPoP (or that you’re really trying to waste time).
Regardless of which is the case – although I really hope it’s the former – here are some posts that I’ve written to help you get to know me better and understand what EPoP is all about.
Ok, that one wasn’t really about me, but pretty cool, right? Those are some of the world’s most famous travelers!
- Two Days Ago, I Was At the Boston Marathon…
- How 2 Funerals Reshaped My Belief on Travel
- Be Comfortable Where You Are
At the end of each year, I also do a Year in Review that people love (and I love writing). Here’s some from years past:
- My Top 10 Travel Experiences of 2013 + 32 Cheap Travel Tricks
- 2013 Year in Review: What Went Well, What Didn’t, and Goals for 2014
- My Top 10 Travel Experiences of 2012
Each year, I also attend an amazing conference called the World Domination Summit, hosted by my good friend Chris Guillebeau.
Want some life lessons? Here’s some wisdom for you!
- 6 Lessons Learned from the World Domination Summit 2014
- 7 Lessons Learned from the World Domination Summit 2013
Don’t Like to Read?
We appeal to all the senses here at EPoP (well, not touch, smell and taste…yet).
We’ve got the #1 rated travel podcast on iTunes and over 130 episodes. Here are a few of my favorites…have a listen:
- Sailing Around the World (and Russian Saunas) with Bo Cordle
- Gaddafi’s Point Guard with Alex Owumi
- Life as the World’s Greatest Guinea Pig with AJ Jacobs
- Money, Money, Money…When Traveling
- 21 Ways to Make Long Haul Flights Bearable
- How to Choose the Right Backpack
Top 10’s/Funny Stories
- Our Biggest Travel Mishaps
- 14 Super Touristy Activities That We Love
- Top 16 Breweries in America
- Within 2 Hours of Landing in Italy…
Take a look at some of our best photos from around the world.