Falling down the rabbit hole is very easy when visiting Wait But Why. Tim Urban writes about any subject that interests him after embarking on a journey to learn everything he can about his topic. Many a project has been procrastinated on as I learn the in’s and out of a thing I never thought I’d be that interested in.
Today Tim joins me to chat about his experiences with Wait But Why, how he picks his topics, his research process, and how he loses himself in the learning.
A couple of years ago, Tim held a poll and allowed his audience to choose the route he would take around the world, visiting 5 countries over the span of 10 weeks and learning a lot about the local cultures. We spend some time going through some of the moments from that trip and the lessons learned along the way.
What’s your favorite article from Wait But Why? Let me know @PackofPeanuts!!
Today’s episode has been sponsored by our friends at Tortuga Backpacks!
In This Episode
- 5:00 Choosing the topic
- 12:00 The research process
- 30:45 The perks he never expected
- 38:00 Tim totally nerds out on some of his potential future topics
- 46:34 Odd things in odd places world tour
- 49:00 A day in the job
- 57:12 Things that transcend location
- 1:08:00 The classic first time travel mistake
- 1:11:20 Tim’s travel list
- 1:22:15Tim’s travel mishap
- The Science of Adventure with Jon Levy
- Life as the World’s Greatest Guinea Pig with A.J. Jacobs
- From Mascot to Mayor: 52 Jobs in 52 Weeks with Sean Aiken
- Around the World in 80 Jobs with Turner Barr
Leave a Review!
iTunes reviews are one of THE most important factors for podcasts. If you enjoy the show please take a second to leave the show a review on iTunes!
- Click this link: Leave a review on iTunes
- Hit “View in iTunes” on the left hand side under the picture.
- Leave an honest review.
- You’re awesome!